Monday, March 4, 2013

My "DAD'S CASSEROLE"



I loved watching my dad cook when I was a kid. He'd been a chef in the army and was an excellent gourmet at home. This casserole is the first dish he ever taught me how to make, and a family favorite. We adoringly refer to it as "My Dad's Casserole."
It's ridiculously easy to make, but so very yummy.
There's just 5 ingredients...
2 lb. hamburger 
12 oz. egg noodles
two 16 oz. cans diced tomatoes
a wee bit less than 1 lb. extra sharp cheese
and a stick of butter.
First, fry up your hamburger, then drain.
Boil your package of noodle al dente, drain, rinse in cool water.
Slice up your cheese, about 1/4" thick slices. Slice the stick of butter into thin pads as well.

Open your cans of tomatoes and place in a bowl with all the juice. You are ready to start layering your casserole into a pan. Place your ingredients around your casserole pan so that everything is easily reachable.



Start by placing some butter pads in the pan first. Then a layer of noodles using half, followed by half the tomatoes, spreading everything evenly. Follow with half the hamburger, and a layer of cheese.



Repeat all the layers over again, adding the rest of the butter just under the meat layer, and finally, pouring the tomato juice that's left all over the casserole. Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper.
Cover with foil, being careful to "tent" it to prevent sticking, and bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes. Your result will be cheesy, yummy, and hearty...and I'd be willing to bet, asked for again and again just like it is at my house!



PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE MY RECIPE ANYWHERE AND WITH WHOM YOU WANT TO>>LIKE ART< RECIPES AND GREAT FOOD ARE NOTHING UNLESS SHARED WITH OTHERS...to pin to Pinterest, click the picture and hit your "pin-it" button :-)


This recipe share is dedicated to my dad, Robert Quinn, who not only created it, but instilled in me my love of cooking, art and music and love of earth and animals. I miss and love you daddy...
4/26/36-1/7/86

No comments:

Post a Comment