Sunday, May 19, 2013

MY SPICY HUMMUS



About 6 weeks ago I started "juicing"
I felt a need and want to start to eat healthier...like REAL healthy. I read up about it and learned that juicing is the way to go...delivering micronutrients directly to the cellular level...but all that is for another post when I go into more detail about juicing. 
In the mean time, I have been trying healthier alternative foods as well, and kept hearing my juicing friends talk about "hummus"...lol....I thought it was some kind of fungus or something by the sound of its name! I learned it is very healthy, full of protein, and that i'd actually had something similar at the home of my client from Pakistan :-)
So it's main ingredient is Garbanzo Beans, commonly called "Chick peas." These are probably the most protein and fiber rich beans there are.When you open the can they even smell like meat (to me haha) One-half cup provides 8% daily value (DV) of Iron, 24% (6 grams) of fiber, and 6 grams of protein! Also 300 mg. of Potassium and 110 energy calories!
Sooo...I've been using a blender, but really should invest in a processor to get the ingredients blended smoother and more thoroughly.

INGREDIENTS
1 can Garbanzo beans
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 red bell pepper chopped
1/2 hot pepper chopped
2 T. hot sauce
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. chili powder


First chop up your red and hot peppers, then place them in your blender/processor


Next add your other ingredients, followed by the beans (drained)



blend until as smooth a consistency as you desire. I prefer a tad of texture remaining.



Simply serve as is, or heated, or even cold. I like to eat it with either soft tortillas or pita bread. It can be used as a sandwich spread, a meat condiment, or a veggie dip. The possibilities are actually endless. This is a yummy, healthy treat, and an excellent alternative to eating meat as well for those who are vegetarian or vegan.

ENJOY ENJOY!


PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE MY RECIPE ANYWHERE AND WITH WHOM YOU WANT TO>>LIKE ART< RECIPES AND GREAT FOOD ARE NOTHING UNLESS SHARED WITH OTHERS...to pin to Pinterest, click the picture and hit your "pin-it" button :-)












1 comment: